Best of the Showcase!

Show your work.

Best of the Showcase!

Postby eclecticguy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:02 am

As I was looking through this forum last weekend I rediscovered some of the wonderful posts that have been made over the last 2 years. So I thought, "wow, I should make a Best of Showcase post so everyone can enjoy these!" I'll only post 1 or 2 photos from each thread but the link will take you to the original post where you'll find more photos and construction details. These are presented in chronological order starting with the oldest posts. I'll add new work to this Sticky thread so you still have a chance for fame!

My first post to this forum on 7/21/2009

These amazing wood reels were made by John Elder. John and I worked together on the Van Buren project.

My first student, fishketcha, posted photos of his blued brass reel. It also appears in The Reelsmith's Primer.

RJD's first reel came out great. He added a few interesting details like the foot posts and brass spool hub.

Speyco makes reels commercially. They are quite attractive.

jturick made this post of his first reel mounted on a wood-strip rod he built. John has gone on to make other reels, including some amazing Aerials.

BunyanBug made his version of a Vom Hoffe reel in a 2 5/8" size.

amston posted his first reel and a leather case he made.

Amabilis has made a few reels and I "won" one of his in the Reel Swap we held. He does beautiful work.

joe arguello made this lovely brass and black Delrin reel.

Dirkyharry uses machine tools to create some very beautiful reels.

Some more reels made by Amabilis.

swetool does really nice work. His reels are inspired by Pflueger and Ari't Hart.

This is the New York reel I made for the Van Buren project. John Elder made the rod.

EOTR machined this solid brass raised pillar reel. Read the entire post (several times) it has a lot of great information in it.

Here is the post on jturick's Aerial reels! Spectacular.

My mentor and friend Peter Dallman made these reels and leather cases.

Stan was our first Aussie poster to the thread.

Words can't describe yorick's engraved brass reel. This is inspirational!

Not far behind comes another nice reel from Australia. Thunderbolt made this aluminum reel from parts out of the scrap heap.

swetool made this beautiful raised pillar reel and fitted wooden case. A friend of mine purchased it but I have not seen it yet!

This was the first reel I made with stabilized and dyed burl wood.

wspur made this beauty in brass with a nicely shaped black grip.

jlindengren posted this detailed thread on his Overkill II reel made from found materials.

This lovely brass and aluminum reel was made by KRC.

Another fascinating thread and reel by jlindgren.

jlindgren's Underkill has briar wood side plates.

My friend dave49 uses Sherline machine tools to create these beauties.

Baithound is a talented reelsmith. He has a unique approach to crafting his one of a kind reels.

What can you say about EOTR's amazing spey reel? Awesome!

Wanderer machined this Ari't Hart inspired reel in aluminum.

Another interesting hand-crafted reel by my friend Baithound (I have some talented friends!)

dave49's latest aluminum raised pillar reel modeled after an Edward Vom Hofe.

My friend Steve's reels are unique and innovative. Check out the 6" acrylic display model. It features a click that telegraphs FISH ON in Morse code.

EOTR's newest reel has an adjustable clicker. Check out the 3D CAD drawings and photos in this post!

benhohnke's first reel turned out great. Ben is from New South Wales and documented his build in his thread with some great construction photos.

watermole+ jumped in with both feet on his first reel! Not only did he produce a beautiful Hardy inspired reel, he restored an old Myford lathe (1954) and built some special tooling in the process.

And if that weren't enough, check out this fabulous Coxon Aerial by watermole+! This is his second reel: Coxon Areial. Simply beautiful brass work.

My German friend Maik (mieser_12) completed his 4th reel of his original design. Maik has been very active promoting reelsmithing in Germany.

jlindengren's Briar/Oak Reel is unique and very nice.

My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Re: Best of the Showcase!

Postby Swaukkid68 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:02 pm

wow! Looks like I'm in deep water, I used to think I had talent. Kindergarten comes to mind. You people are intimidating! Beautiful, inventive work. I used to build muzzle loaders. I engraved them, carved them,did silver and gold, at the old gold prices,inlay work. I did filigree brass plates and chisel work in steel and brass. I, have a long way to go. I'll be 69 February 6 2013' guess I'de better turn off the "telli" and get to one of my favorite pastimes " making piles with files". Hope I can rise to contributing to the High Art of reel smithing. I'm honored to associated with the likes of y'all, ! Bye for now Dave Bryant Olympia, Washington.
Swaukkid68

Return to Reel Showcase